Steps to Enroll for Military and Veteran Students 

Follow these steps if you are currently or have previously been active in the armed forces, or are a dependent, and would like to receive VA education benefits. 

If you do not wish to receive VA education benefits, you may complete the new, returning, or transfer steps (whichever is most applicable to you). 

Step one: apply

Complete an online application at CCCApply.

Within 24 business hours, you will be emailed your new DVC student ID number, registration date, important student account information, and a link to the online orientation. This information will be sent to the email address you provided on your application.

Apply for financial aid. Students should also begin the financial aid process along with their DVC application, since this process can take some time to complete.

If you are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, you should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to see if you qualify for aid such as grants, work-study, or loans.

If you are an undocumented student, who qualifies for AB-540 status, you should complete the California Dream Act Application to see if you are eligible for grants.

For more information about the financial aid process, tune into Financial Aid TV.

Step two: complete VA benefit application(s) and turn in paperwork

If you have any questions about these forms, please contact Veterans Services.

  • Complete VA form 22-1990 for education benefits; chapters 30, 33, 1606, 1607. 
  • Complete VA form 22-1995 for transferring or changing major.
  • Complete VA form 22-5490 for dependents or spouse of a veteran who is 100 percent disabled or deceased as a result of their military service; chapter 35. 
  • Complete VA form 22-5495 for dependents or spouse who are transferring or changing major; chapters 33 and 35. 
  • Complete student worksheet for VA education benefits and submit to Veterans Services
  • Read, sign, and submit the student statement of responsibility to Veterans Services. 
  • Veterans only: submit a copy of your DD-214 Member 4 to Veterans Services 
  • Select reservists: submit a copy of your notice of basic eligibility (NOBE) to Veterans Services. You can obtain this through your command. 
  • Submit a copy of your KICKER*. This is part of the enlistment contract and is often referred to by it's Madison Avenue name: Army College Fund or Navy Sea College fund. 

*If you are using post-9/11, you don't need to bring a proof of KICKER. 

Step three: submit official transcripts

Submit official transcripts to Admissions and Records for each college and university you previously attended so they can be evaluated and applied to your education goal.

If you would like to use a completed class to fulfill a prerequisite, you will must submit the prerequisite form with official or unofficial transcripts to the Admissions and Records Office. It must be submitted at least three business days before your registration date to avoid registration delays. Transcripts must be attached even if you have already submitted your official transcripts.

Step four: online orientation

After you receive your student ID number, you should complete the online orientation (también está disponible en español.) The orientation will provide you with important information about student services, the online student portal, programs, procedures and policies.

Check out our How-To video for information about the Online Orientation:

Step five: assessment/placement process

Once you have completed the online orientation, it is time to get your English and math placements. If you are a graduating high school senior, or you graduated from a regionally accredited high school in the United States within the past ten years, you can use our Multiple Measures online tool for placement. If not, you can schedule an appointment online at our Assessment Center. Please note that some students may not be required to assess/place, please review do I need to take an assessment for more information.

Be aware: If you plan on enrolling in remedial classes (below college level), VA will only pay educational benefits if you test into a remedial level course.

Step six: meet with a veterans counselor

After completing all steps listed above, including submitting all required documents and official transcripts to Admissions and Records, you must meet with a veterans counselor to create your educational plan

To schedule an appointment, call 925-969-2140 and request to meet with a veterans counselor. 

Step seven: register for classes

Although this is step seven, this step may fall earlier depending on your registration date. Contact Veterans Services if you have questions. 

  • Within 24 business hours of completing the application, you will receive a registration date in your email.
  • You will also register for classes through InSite or you can go to the Enrollment Lab if you'd like help from a staff member. 

Although you may register for any courses, only courses on your education plan will be certified to VA. 

Please note that some classes require a prerequisiteThese can be found in the class schedule. 

Step eight: complete a request for VA certification

You will need to complete a request for certification every term as benefits do not automatically roll over to the next term. You are responsible for notifying Veterans Services within 30 days of any changes to your enrollment, including, adding, dropping or withdrawing from a class, stopping class attendance, or if the instructor dropped you from a class.

Resources for success