The college established a Budget Committee to ensure a representative body of the college community is educated regarding all aspects of the college budget and actively participates in recommending resource allocations. This body is responsible to ensure resource allocation follows established budget process, which aligns resource allocation with institutional planning and ensures transparency, financial stability and integrity.
Based on information provided by Business and Administrative Services, the Budget Committee will make timely resource recommendations in a manner that ensures fiscal prudence and long term financial stability. Resource allocation will be tied to the mission and institutional goals by ensuring institutional planning, which sets institutional priorities, is integrated into the budget allocation process.
During the first meeting of each fall semester the committee will review the charge and function of the committee and ensure a comprehensive and uniform understanding of the functions, timeline and terminology.
The Budget Committee Process will include the following functions:
- Establish and maintain a budget process timeline
- Review State, District, and college budget information
- Conduct broad review of all funding available to the college including restricted budgets
- Review multi-year budget projections
- Review college resource priorities as developed through program review and institutional plans to reflect best practices and accreditation requirements
- Recommend funding sources for program review requests
- Update College Council on relevant budget information and make resource allocation recommendations in accordance with budget process and timeline
- Inform the college community of committee work and recommendations; encourage feedback
- Make recommendations to Senior Administration on equitable funding within the district
- Evaluate and make recommendations on budget process and timeline as appropriate
The Budget committee will review plans and budget information as it becomes available on an ongoing basis.
January – Governors January Budget released
March – District provides college with Tentative Budget allocation
By March 31 – College wide plans received for review
By March 31 – Program review request prioritization received for review
By Mid-April – Tentative Budget Submitted
By April 30 – Categorical Committees identify which prioritized program review and permanent staff meet criteria of funding source
By May 15 – Budget committee has reviewed all program review requests, prioritized plans, estimated available resources, and presents preliminary recommendation
July 31 – District provides college with Final Budget allocation, including estimated ending balances
July 31 – Approved preliminary recommendations included in Final Budget
By Mid-August – Budget committee recommends final allocations with estimated ending balances.
By August 31 - President sends out approved funding email
By August 31 – Approved funding distributed
October – Review process, solicit feedback and recommend potential changes
*Off cycle requests (non-operational) which could not be planned for during the normal cycle may be approved by the College President
Once per month (minimum) during fall and spring academic semesters. More frequently during budget development.
Co-chairs, Vice President of Business and Administrative Services (or designee) and one co-chair who will be selected by the committee.
- 1 Vice President of Business and Administrative Services or designee (co-chair)
- 3 Faculty Representatives appointed by Academic Senate
- 3 Classified Representatives appointed by Classified Senate
- 2 Management Representatives appointed by Management Council
- 1 Fiscal Services Manager (non-voting)
- 2 ASDVC Representatives
At least one of the representatives from classified, faculty, or management should be from the San Ramon Campus, on a rotating basis.
The Budget Committee will invite experts as appropriate
Instruction and Student Services should be equally represented
Term of Membership:
Three years - may be re-appointed for one additional term
Adopted: September 14, 2009
Revised: September 20, 2010
Revised: May 22, 2019